Fresh Red Currant Pie
The currants lend this pie a stunning red colour, which contrasts beautifully with the pale crumb topping. A very patriotic, red & white Canadian pie!
- one prepared but uncooked, 9-inch / 1 L pastry crust, bottom only (either homemade or storebought)
- 1 cup / 125 ml sugar
- 3 Tbsp / 45 ml tapioca (the no-cook kind)
- 3 cups / 750 ml fresh red currants
- 1/3 cup / 75 ml water
Crumb Topping Ingredients:
- 1 cup / 250 ml flour
- 1/2 cup / 125 ml sugar
- 1/2 cup / 125 ml chopped nuts (optional)
- 3 Tbsp / 45 ml butter
- 1 Tbsp / 15 ml oil
- Preheat oven to 425 F / 220 C.
- For the Filling: In the bottom of the crust, sprinkle a small amount of sugar from filling ingredients. Mix remaining filling sugar and tapioca together, then add the currants and water; pour into crust.
- For the Crumb Topping: Mix together flour, sugar and nuts (optional). Cut in butter and oil until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Cover pie with topping mixture.
- Bake at 425 F / 220 C for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 F / 180 C and continue baking 25-30 more minutes.
- Serve pie when warm, with a dollop of ice cream if desired.