Welcome to Plaid Eggnog!

Welcome to Plaid Eggnog!

Mar 30, 2010

Ode to rubber boots (by Julie)

Spring has come to Hudson Bay about 2 months early this year. Already, we have temperatures above freezing, and the snow is nearly gone. The parkas are being put away, along with the heavy mittens and boots that keep you warm into the -30s.

All you need to prepare for an afternoon outside these days is a spring jacket - and one other thing, to fight the huge puddles and mud from the quick snow melt. It's something known as wellies, galoshes or gumboots, depending on where you're from. (There I am modeling some in the photo, taken Xmas 03 on the east coast.)

This time of year reminds me of a great poem I learned as a child:

Galoshes (by Rhoda W. Bacmeister)

Susie's galoshes
Make splishes and sploshes
And slooshes and sloshes
As Susie steps slowly
Along in the slush.

Any Susies out there? ;-)

1 comment:

  1. I want galoshes! Also, just wanted to let you know we got your Easter card in the mail today. Aimee LOVES getting mail from you guys!!!! Thanks for that recipe, I had actually found that on a blog and I am so excited to try it, and it is SO NICE to have it all typed out with the verses, THANKS!!! be looking for a blog post of my own documenting..=) hope to be seeing you guys SOON!! Happy Resurrection Day!

    ReplyDelete