|A Fantuz Fancy - by Julie & Steve|
Saskatchewan folks are nuts about the Riders and their bid for the Canadian Football League's 2010 Grey Cup. To celebrate, we made Rider cookies. We took them to church in Arborfield yesterday, and they were a hit! So here, by popular demand, is the recipe:
1 cup butter, melted
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup brown sugar
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
2 tsp vanilla
2 beaten eggs
2 ½ cups flour
1-2 cups chocolate chips
2 cups crushed Fantuz Flakes* or other flake-based cereal (e.g., Corn Flakes)
|Ingredients for Fantuz Fancies|
1. Preheat oven to 375 F, with the rack in the middle position.
2. Melt butter, add sugars and stir. Next, stir in soda, salt, vanilla and beaten eggs. Then add flour and mix dough well.
|Finished Fantuz Fancies|
4. Form dough into walnut-sized balls with your fingers and place on greased cookie sheet, 12 per sheet. Press Fantuz Fancies down slightly with palm or spatula.
5. Bake at 375 for 8-10 minutes.
6. Cool on cookie sheet 2 minutes, then remove to wire rack until completely cool. (The rack is important – it makes them crisp.)
7. Frost with green or white icing, then make the Roughriders' "S" with sprinkles on the top of the cookie, in the opposite colour. (We used a cookie stencil we made out of an icing jar top.)
Yield: 5-6 dozen. If Fantuz Fancies spread out too much in oven, reduce heat to 350 F and do not flatten fancies before baking.
- Adapted by Julie Golding Page, from Chocolate Chip Crunch Cookies, in Joanne Fluke’s Chocolate Chip Cookie Murder